Saturday, February 04, 2006

The Joy of Being Nursery Assistants

The title may sound a little sarcastic, but Robert and I love our calling as Nursery Assistants. Let me tell you why. First of all, we don't have to go to class, we just show up and play with toys during church. Second of all, we not only get to play with toys, but we also get to play with kids all through church. I grew up in a family where there were always little kids running around. When I came to college I missed not being able to play with kids. Now that we are in a married ward there are plenty of little kids around, but we don't get a chance to play with them except in nursery.

Sure, it does have it's downsides. 18 month-olds don't really communicate too well. Their favorite words are mine and no, and by the time they learn any other words they are transferred to the senior nursery (we are only in the junior nursery). Consequently the most popular way of communicating is crying, especially at the beginning of class when their parents have left them with the strange nursery leaders. Times that by 10 kids and you get a very chaotic first few minutes. Luckily, some of the kids actually like nursery, especially the toys (who can blame them?), so not all of them are crying at once.

I didn't know before I came into the nursery that there are actual lessons in nursery. I think it is really sweet to teach them about Heavenly Father and Jesus. It is pretty cool when they actually learn something from the lessons.

No comments: