Monday, October 29, 2007

Adopt-A-Family

The past month at work has been really busy because we have been signing up families for our Adopt-A-Family program, aka Sub for Santa. Every day I sit down with about ten families and find out a little about them, get their clothes sizes and ask them what things they need and would like for Christmas. It makes me feel so blessed, and so lucky to be born in a family that could afford to buy me new clothes when I was growing up. The number one thing that people ask for is clothes because after paying rent and utilities they barely have enough for food. Clothes and other essentials often get put off for a long time because they are not as important as shelter and food. Occasionally I will get people who are still low-income, but who are not in as dire need and ask for something like a DVD player.
When I ask the mother's what they would like for their household the most common responses are a blender, an iron, a toaster, towels, and blankets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Melarie you have a neat job! I remember adopting families when I was growing up. My parents usually asked for a family about the same ages and us kids and then we could go and find something we thought they would like. It definitely puts life into a different perspective and makes you appreciate all the blessings we really have. How cool to be on the organizing side of this program though. Way to GO!!