Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas

I feel like I should write something about how our Christmas went etc. etc. but I almost feel like that is old news now! I will write about it any way though, but I will warn you, it might be a little long for a blog post.

We flew from our moderately warm Los Angeles to freezing Salt Lake on Dec. 22. That was also our anniversary so this will be the second year in a row that we have spent our anniversary travelling. Yuck! We did schedule our flight late enough so we were able to go out for brunch at a nice little french restaurant before packing all our stuff and heading to the airport. It was also our pre-Christmas since we opened all our Christmas presents to each other before we left (or maybe they were all anniversary presents?).

Flight was good, airport wasn't as horrendous as we feared. We made it into Salt Lake in time to catch the tail end of my mom family's Christmas party. It was at the same chapel where we held our wedding reception exactly three years earlier. I had fun seeing all my aunts and uncles and cousins while Robert hid away watching the BYU vs. UCLA football game. Sunday we stayed in Magna and went to church with my family at my old ward. I got to see some old friends and it felt oddly like I was back in my teenage years. Might have had something to do with going to the YSA class. In the afternoon we met Robert's family at Temple Square, saw the beginning of a concert in the assembly hall (see pictures below), and took the classic pictures with temple and Christmas lights. Now it was really starting to feel like Christmas.

Christmas Eve we were with Robert's family in Provo. In the evening we went to his Aunt Deena's house in Orem for dinner, presents, and scripture reading/presentation. I need to figure out how I can edit some video from this evening to post. Christmas was excellent, spent at home with the Wheats (well, in Provo at Rob's grandma's house where we were all staying). We missed having David and Jen there with us this year since they have recently moved to San Antonio and couldn't make it all the way up to Utah. The next day we (Dad and Mom Wheat, Kevin, and Rob and I) went up to Park City and shopped the outlet malls. I got a nice sweater from Liz Clairborn to wear to work, exactly what I was looking for. Then we hopped down to Magna for dinner and went to the airport.

When we got there the departure boards said our plane was going to be ten minutes late and Kevin's, who was flying out to Denver to be with his fiancee, was going to be half an hour late. Kevin boarded his plane and was gone before our plane even got in SLC. We finally got on the plane an hour after we were scheduled to leave. Coming into Los Angeles we had a lot of wind and therefore turbulence. The kids on the plane thought it was really fun, they were laughing and having a great time on the airplane ride. The adults were trying to be light hearted about it too, but we all couldn't help but be a bit nervous. Coming into land the plane was going side to side and we were actually a little titled as we touched down. Then the pilot came on the intercom and told us all welcome to L.A. (etc. etc.) and everyone clapped. Yeah!

2 comments:

MidCityGal said...

So funny! I was actually thinking about your anniversary during the BYU-UCLA game. And I wondered if you were at the game. I see Robert didn't talk you into going this year. Anyway, glad they won and glad you had a fun whirlwind trip back to see both your families.

Unknown said...

actually, we seriously considered it, but we had already bought our plane tickets and decided not to mess with trying to rearrange things.