Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our Not So Exciting News

Sorry it has been a while since I updated. We don't have Internet at home, and what time I have at work I usually spend checking e-mail etc, mundane things. We are almost done painting in the house. We're not quite unpacked, but getting there very slowly.

The biggest news on our house is not very good news. We had a break-in last week while Robert and I were both at work. We came home together (luckily, I would have hated to come home to that alone) last Monday to find our side door wide open. Our first thoughts were, "did we forget to close the door?" Then we saw an uncrustable sandwich and defrosted otter pops lying in the entryway, both of which were definitely in our freezer when we left. So then I thought, "What the..? Did we forget to lock the door and some little kid came in and went through our fridge?"

Then we saw the damage to the door. It had been pried open (prob. with a crow bar) and deformed enough that the locked dead bolt was no problem in opening the door. On examination of our house we found a lot of small but expensive items missing (i.e. electronics, jewelry), drawers obviously rifled through, boxes knocked over. We were surprisingly calm about calling the police and making an inventory of all the missing items. All in all, the burglar got away with several thousand dollars worth of our belongings. Punk kid! (we're assuming a juvenile did it, who else who take uncrustables and otter pops?) .

The worst part about it all was the vulnerability that we felt afterwards. All our doors were locked, all the dead bolts were locked, and they still just walked in. Everyday last week we came home dreading to find our door wide open again. We got a security alarm system installed on Saturday. For the peace of mind, it is worth it.

8 comments:

Rachey said...

That totally sucks! I'm glad you can have your peace of mind back with a security system though. We have a dog, do you think we still need a security system?

Mbeth said...

oh my goodness that totally stinks. I would want to haul out and find that sucker and pop a fist in his face. ugh. I so sorry. on the other hand, who steals otter pops? Too bad you didn't have the otter pops we had in our freezer before we moved. They were like 3-4 years old. they would have probably at least made them sick.

Maxine Parrish said...

Yikes! Sorry about the break-in. It's horrible to not feel safe in your own home. Hopefully, it won't ever happen again. Even more hopefully, the police will catch whoever did it.

Sarah said...

I'm sorry you guys. That is so sad. I'm glad you weren't hurt or anything. I'm sure your stuff is safe now. Good luck with the rest of the house stuff!

mini-wheats said...

How scary! We've been having a lot of burglary here in Rexburg, and some scary reports of other things. I've been locking myself inside the apartment everytime Kevin leaves now!!! i can't imagine finding my apartment like that! I hope you feel safer now that you got a security system!

Trent said...

Oh No!!! I am so sorry to hear that! I am just glad that neither of you were home when it happened. Last year there were 4 houses in our neighborhood that were broken into. It made me really nervous because we don't have a security system or a dog! I hope that they catch the theif and you can get some of your stuff back. Did they take anything of sentimental value to you?

Unknown said...

Robert's coworkers said we need to get two dogs, one small one to investigate everything and a big one to scare the burglars away

Yikes Ellen B.! That's sound like a scary time. Glad you guys made it through without a breakin. Most of the things we were sad to lose, but they were just materials. I was sad I didn't download my Disneyland pics before they took my camera =(.

Unknown said...

We are so sorry about this! It had to have been teenagers and we hope it all works out with insurance. We can't wait to see you in 3 days!