Saturday, December 06, 2008

Our Ultrasound Visit

I wrote this more so I could remember our experience, but you're welcome to read the following about our ultrasound visit if it looks interesting to you.

We had our ultrasound on Thursday, a little later than we had thought. At the last doctor’s appointment the doctor told us that our next appointment they would do the ultra-sound and measure the baby etc. So we showed up on Monday thinking that we were having our ultrasound, but all the doctor did was test the heart beat and tell me that my back aches and dizzy spells were normal. Apparently you have to schedule ultra-sound visits separately from regular checkups. But when your doctor says, “at your next appointment we will do the ultrasound” you assume it will be that day, not go and schedule it that day for a different day!

So we went back three days later for our ultrasound visit. They told me to drink four cups of water one hour before. So I drank what I felt like was the right amount, 4 glasses of water, before I left work about and hour and a half before the appointment. By the time we got to the doctors office I had to go to the bathroom, but couldn't. Then we had to sit in the waiting room for an hour. All the while I just couldn’t wait to get it over with so I could finally use the restroom. After a while I couldn’t even concentrate on anything but not peeing my pants. I kept thinking that any second I was going to have to go up and ask to use the restroom so I could pee a little, but I never did, hoping that they would just call us finally.

Finally they called us. The room was all dark and there were three other people in there, which I thought was odd. Turns out one was the ultrasound technician, the other two were there for training. The technician said he would just take all his measurements of the baby first, then I could go to the bathroom and they would look at the baby some more. He saw my bladder was extremely full from the ultrasound pictures and was quick doing the measurements. I was so relieved! He told Robert when I went to the bathroom that I must have drank much too much water. I thought I drank what they asked me to! Before I went to the bathroom the technician said he was able to see what we were having, and said he could tell us after I got back from the bathroom.

I was much more comfortable when I came back from the bathroom. The technician looked at the baby some more, and said, “yup, definitely know what you’re having,” but didn’t tell us what it was. I thought, “He’s so confident, it must be a boy.” Then the other two technicians in training both did the same measurements while the technician watched. While one of them was measuring the head Robert said, “He has a head!” The student said, “Yeah, he has everything! Or she does.” So then I thought, “is it a girl, or is she just saying that to throw us off?”

Turns out it really was a girl! The technician asked the students if they could tell what it was and they said yes. It was a girl! I was so surprised! I thought for sure with the Wheat gene’s I was going to have a boy first. They asked if she had a name and I said right away, “Julia.” When the students were done with their measurements the technician looked at the baby again and showed us baby Julia. He showed us that she was developing girl parts. Then he took a picture of the “It’s a Girl” shot and told Robert he could have that one on the house.

Baby Julia was moving all around the entire time. The technician said she was trying to make his job harder, because every time she moved he had to reevaluate where all her parts were that he had been trying to measure. I thought she did a good job though so he could definitely see that she was a girl. Good job Julia. He also got a really good view of her foot, and decided to show the technicians how to do it in 3D. So we got a 3D picture of her crossing her little feet.

Afterwards, even though I was happy to have a girl, I was a little sad that I wasn’t going to have a Baby Micah. I had thought of the baby as Baby Micah for so long that I felt like I had had two babies now. I was gaining a Baby Julia, but also losing a Baby Micah. Robert was quick to tell me that I never had a Baby Micah, it was always Baby Julia. Now I’m used to the idea that I have a baby girl! The next couple days I just kept thinking, “we’re having a girl! A girl!”

So Baby Julia looks healthy and is measuring for an April 10th due date. Haha, it just keeps getting earlier and earlier from April 15.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Congratulations on a GIRL! I remember having to pee so bad before the early ultrasounds the we got. One time we did wait an hour+ and I had to ask them if I could pee...and they wouldn't let me! It was miserable. I really thought I was going to have to sneak out to the bathroom down the hall before they caught me.

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing!

Maxine Parrish said...

It's great that you're writing things down right now, because you are definitely going to forget sooner than you think. What an awesome experience, though (post-bathroom, of course), to be able to see so much more of your baby due to the training session. And to see it in 3-D - so cool! We're excited for you guys!

Meg said...

Congratulations you two! We are so excited for you.

Mbeth said...

I don't remember them making me drink a bunch of water before. that is a cruel think to make a pregnant girl do.

Jessica Davis said...

I'm so happy for you guys!!! What fun to have a baby girl! We are going to New Zealand at the end of January. We have a layover in LA on both legs of the trip. We were thinking of trying to see you guys and Steve and Wendy. I'm really so happy for you...have fun being pregnant! It's not always the most convenient thing, but it's temporary and it's so amazing what it takes to bring a child into the world.

Michelle said...

Congrats on the girl! This post was really fun to read. Isn't the ultrasound just SO amazing!? I felt the same way when we found out we were having a boy. We had a girl name picked out forever and I think one day, I will get my little baby girl with that name, but just not yet! Congrats again you guys!!!

Joyful Noise said...

Did you hear that we have three boxes of girl clothes for you? We have saved all the good stuff from 12-24 months. Unfortunately we left the newborn-9 months clothes in NC, but your baby will be well dressed once she is a year old : )