Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Potty

In other news, Julia has been showing interest in the big potty and asking to sit on it. While I'm not quite ready to potty train her yet, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get her her own potty to sit on so I wouldn't have to spend the five minutes a day holding her up on the big potty so she doesn't fall in. So last week Julia and I went to Target and picked out a nice little potty for Julia. We got home, opened it up and set it up in our bathroom. I showed Julia how to put the lid up, pull down her pants and sit on the potty.

I don't know what I expected, but nothing happened in the 30 seconds she was willing to sit there. We got her dressed again and while we were still in the bathroom she pooped in her diaper. Remember the purpose here was just to let her sit on the potty, not to actually teach potty training. But I figured, "well, we're in here, with a poopy diaper, might as well show her what the potty is really for." So I took the diaper off and dumped the poop in her little potty and told her "Stinkies go in the potty." I could just see the gears working in her mind, "ohh, that's what happens." Unfortunately, at this point I got distracted by something, don't remember what exactly, but I'm sure was very important.

A minute later Julia says "Mommy's phone potty." Immediately I had a bad feeling. Sure enough, Julia had taken my iphone and dumped it smack dab in the middle of all the poop in her little potty. Ewww! Now I am doubly sure I am not ready for potty training.

P.S. I in no way blame Julia for this. I should have done better at explaining that only "stinkies" and pee go in the potty, and not everything you can get your hands on. We have since had that conversation and I haven't found anything else in the potty.

P.P.S Robert won't touch my phone now.

2 comments:

Rachey said...

Ewwwww! How many times did you have to clean it before you felt okay using it again? I might have just thrown my phone away:)

Michelle said...

This is a great story!