Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!

I used to love going to the Days of 47 parade every July 24th. We would wake up early, stake out our spot along the parade route, and lounge around for hours as the sun came up and the thermostat shot up, waiting for the parade to start. Ahh, memories. Now it's weird, no one here thinks it's a holiday today! In Utah the 24th was just as big a holiday as the 4th of July. I miss it!So, I am taking a minute to personally remember the pioneers and their trip to the Salt Lake Valley. I am grateful for the sacrifices they made so that I could live in Utah. I am grateful for the sacrifices they made so the church could survive and I could be a member. Happy Pioneer Day everyone!

P.S. Pictures of this year's parade at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=491&sid=1527069

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Steve was actually there for the first time in his life. They had a miracle happen so that all 60 people could get a good seat for the parade. They had no idea that people camped out overnight like they do for the Rose Parade! Steve said that the kids had a great time at the parade.

Unknown said...

That is an awesome float! And this may be a dumb question but why is it called the Days of 47 parade?

Unknown said...

The first pioneers entered the valley on July 24, 1847.

Denise said...

Going on the trek this last June gave me a new appreciation for the pioneers. I was grateful before from the stories but seeing and being there was so much more. I hope someday we could go there as a family, wouldn't that be awesome.