Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Grandpa Sandberg Visits Day 2

On Friday we picked up my dad's running packet at the DC Armory and then headed over to the National Museum of the American Indian. This is probably my favorite museum because they occasionally do performances. Last weekend they were having the Ponca Festival and when we were there members of the Ponca Tribe from Nebraska were demonstrating the different dances they have.

I think this was Julia's first experience seeing Native American dancing and it was pretty entertaining to see her reaction to the dancing and drumming and costumes and yelling. She was afraid of one dancer who had his face painted and would hide in my lap every time he came around the circle. But she mostly thought it was cool how they dance and that they had a big drum like she has a drum.

For lunch we went to the museum's cafe where they serve Native food from North and South America. I had salmon, winter squash and wild rice salad. My dad had buffalo, winter squash, and potatoes.

Afterwards we walked across the street to the US Botanic Garden. For some reason Julia loved the First Ladies Water Fountain.
She spent 20 minutes like this, going around the fountain and laying down and looking at the water. I told her she couldn't touch the water, but she was happy just to look. I don't know why she loved it so much, she was just content to watch the water flowing and bubbling.
On the canopy walk in the Jungle room.
Watering the plants in the Children's Garden, another place we spent a lot of time at.
Pretty purple flowers.
The Julia-smile-for-the-camera smile. She loved this fountain as well.My favorite room was the Orchid room. It was gorgeous with so many flowering orchids.

No comments: