Thursday, July 26, 2012

Goodbye Virginia!

We moved! Okay, so it's been over a month, but most of the boxes have finally been unpacked (and those that aren't will probably stay that way for a while) and I finally have some time to blog about our adventures moving back to California. This post is mostly for us to remember our last few days in Virginia. So now we see what I can remember about our move.

The movers came on Tuesday to pack us up. Robert spent the two days chit chatting with the movers while I did errands, had a play date, and took the kids swimming to stay out of their way. By the end of the first day they still hadn't finished packing us all up, so the next day they had a little more packing to do before they could load the truck. And they got there a little late. And it rained half the day. So they were there for a long time the second day.

The movers had a huge semi-truck that was taking three different households across the country, so fitting it into our little parking lot was a bit of an issue. They were able to back it up close to our door, but blocked 1/4 of the parking lot. That was fine during the day when no one is home, but the movers didn't leave until 8:00 pm (or possibly later...) so I felt bad for the people who had to find street parking that night because we were blocking the lot. By then the moving truck couldn't maneuver around the parked cars either so they had to leave their huge trailer in our parking lot in the fire lane until morning when most of the cars were gone again.

Wednesday night we stayed at the historic Renaissance Mayflower down the street from the White House, and the next day Robert went back to the townhouse early and did most of the cleaning while I entertained the kids again at the hotel until Robert came to pick us up in the rental car. The one time we actually could have used our two cars and they were halfway across the country by then! This is Julia pointing to our townhouse, the "red house" while Robert was inside doing the walk through with the new owners (our original landlord sold the home the last month we were there, so we had a new landlord for one week and we had our walk through with them. It was kind of weird.)

Julia understood pretty well what was going on, she's smart like that. 

After that we spent Thursday night in DC again. The next morning we went to breakfast at Founding Farmers, and I mention this because it was delicious! If you are ever in DC I would highly recommend it, but you must make a reservation or come during an non-busy time. We went to breakfast at like 10:00 am so most people were already done with breakfast by then and the lunch crowd hadn't come in yet. We tried for dinner the night before without reservations and it was like an hour and a half wait, so we went somewhere else.

We checked one last thing off our DC bucket list: The Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Since they don't allow pictures inside we just have this one of us waiting for the tour and another of Julia and Micah in the gift shop. Julia is as tall of a stack of $100 bills worth $885,400. I'm glad we got to see it before we left, it was kind of cool to see stacks and stacks of millions of dollars being made.

Then we left DC and Virginia for good and headed up to Baltimore, MD!
Post a Comment