Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Why Do People Become Homeless?

Note: The following description is fictional, but based on the experiences of dozens of homeless families that I've known.

Hi. I am a single mother with two kids, a seven year-old boy and a five year-old girl. Their daddy ran out on us a few years ago and I haven't heard from him since. I've been making ends meet using my welfare money (cash and food stamps) to help out with my income from work. I graduated from high school but never got any more education than that, so I work as a cashier at a retail store. When my daughter got sick I had to take care of her and I lost my job. Since I was no longer working my cash aid was increased, but that still left me a few hundred dollars short each month for my rent and bills.

I had no savings and two months after I lost my job I lost my apartment. We stayed with my mom for three weeks but then her landlord found out I was staying there and kicked us out. The county welfare gave us motel vouchers for two weeks, but I wasn't able to find a job during that time. Since then we have been bouncing around, staying with different friends and paying for motel rooms. It's hard for me to find a job when I am moving all over the place, plus I still have to take care of my kids. I haven't been able to save any of my money and I don't know how I am ever going to get my own place again without saving money for a deposit and first month's rent.

3 comments:

Rachey said...

Wow Melarie. Its so sad, but also good to read something like that. So many people make assumptions about homeless people that aren't always true. Reading that makes me realize how easy my life has been, I've always had someone to fall back on.

Anonymous said...

Too true. I work with a transitional living center for homeless mothers. You wouldn't believe the demand to get in! The good news is that most of the women who go through our center are generally self-sufficient after their two years are up. We force them to get a job and put money in savings each month. :)

Joseph A said...

That's such good insight. What would I do in her situation? I'd be homeless and in need of help from somebody, too. Thanks.