Friday, April 02, 2010

Washington D.C.

Last weekend we took a quick trip out to Washington D.C. to look for housing when we move out there in June. We didn't do any sightseeing since we were only there for two days and had to focus on house hunting (and really in two days we were just there to get a feel for the areas and decide what kind of place we wanted). This being my first time in D.C. I found it just a little bit weird to be surrounded by all these iconic sights and not even visit. So this was the extent of our famous sights pictures, this was the view from from our hotel room. We were literally down the street from the White House, and I never even got a glimpse of it.

It was quite the experience traveling across the country with Julia. A few things I learned: Having a seat on the plane for your baby is heaven. If by chance they do fall asleep you don't get stuck holding them the entire time. Yay!

Babies do not adjust well to time change. Julia kept her exact schedule, which meant we were going to bed at 11:00 pm Eastern Time every night. On the other hand, Robert changes schedules forward very well, but not so well going back. He is still going to bed at 9:00 pm Pacific Time and waking up at 5:00 am.

For some reason I'm being very picky about the place we get in D.C. I keep thinking there must be that magic townhouse that's THE ONE, the perfect place. We'll see in a few weeks when we go back in if I can find it. After looking at a million places with our realtor I kept saying, "this place is nice, but..." I never could see myself in any of the places we looked at.

While we were there we had dinner with some old friends, Ryan and Rachel, and met their son Liam. Here's Julia and Liam on their first date:

What do you think? Do they look nervous? I guess it went pretty well since they ended up holding hands during dinner. So cute!

On Sunday morning we had half an hour to waste before heading to the airport so we stopped at Fort Ward, which is a park now in Alexandria, and let Julia stretch out her legs and get in some walking practice.


And while we were there Robert had his birthday! Happy Birthday sweetie! It ended up not being all that exciting since we were looking at homes all day and then instead of going out to dinner like we planned we were just tired and ate at the hotel.

4 comments:

Rachey said...

It was great seeing you guys! Good luck finding the perfect place.

P.S. I love Ft. Ward park, that was where I started my running hobby:)

Kristine said...

SO jealous I didn't make it to your A list for DC visits :( J/K I totally understand the whole quick trip requirements. I hope you find a place you love...housing here can be very overwhelming but since there are SO many options, if you are willing to pay the price there is bound to be a place for you. Best of luck!

Pikula's said...

We were there too last week, I wonder if we were there at the same time?? When do you guys move?

Mimi Nowland said...

It sounds like it was really busy. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We hope to see you guys when you move!